Monday, December 12, 2011

Mesquite BBQ


MESQUITE: Mesquite BBQ
145 E Davis St
Mesquite, TX 75149
972-285-6573
Open M-Thur 10:30-8, F-Sat 10:30-9
www.mbbq1959.com


Update: This joint was one of the first that I visited when I started full barbecue coverage of the DFW area. Re-reading the old review, it sounded pretty harsh so I thought I'd give it another shot. This time I chose the middle of the lunch hour where I was assured a full menu of fresh meats.



It's amazing how little smoke flavor they get on this meat using an Oyler smoker. I couldn't confirm if they're still using one since the fence around the smoking area is so tall. Given that Herbert Oyler opened the place, I'd guess they're still using one of his smokers. The ribs had been sitting in a warmer for some time. The fat had oxidized and the meat just tasted old. The brisket was bone dry and couldn't pass for decent roast beef.



The pulled pork sandwich wasn't much better. The flyer at the counter called it Texas style, but it was little more than pork sloppy joe.



The only saving grace was a great slice of the pecan pie made by Uncle Willie's in Red Oak. It was the only reason I didn't need to stop for another lunch before heading back to work.

Rating *

2008: I've eaten some bad brisket in the past, but this was about the worst. This putrid monochrome gray hunk of dry meat was clearly deprived of the love it deserved. It was so bad that I saw no reason to even try the ribs.

Mesquite BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT