Friday, July 15, 2011

JC's Smoked Meats


OKLAHOMA: JC's Smoked Meats
(Inside Buy For Less)
2500 N. Penn
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
405-525-6600
Open F-Sun 11-8


A fellow BBQ lover in Oklahoma City directed me to JC's Smoked Meats inside a Buy For Less discount grocery store in south Oklahoma City. With a line forming at 10:45, I had high hopes. By the time I placed my order for brisket and ribs, there were ten hungry customers behind me. There probably here for the great value including a $15.50 combo of brisket, ribs, hot links and sausage. I was having BBQ for lunch later, so I just opted for 1/2 pound of beef and a rib sandwich.



I could tell as it was sliced in front of me that the brisket was dry. After the ride back home it was even worse. It had some god smokiness and seasoning, but it was pretty tough to chew. I'm thinking this was yesterday's brisket. The ribs were about as fresh. A charred crust covered the dry meat which wasn't quite as smoky as the brisket. With this place being open until 8:00pm, maybe an evening visit would bring fresher meat.

Rating *

4 comments:

Twinwillow said...

I don't think my dog would touch that unappetizing looking brown brisket.

Anonymous said...

i get my bbq at JC'S and i think its the best in OKC.Sometimes it might be a little dry i think from heat lamps.But its usually awesome.,8 out of 10 times i get it.he also has a place inside another store at 44 and i 35 .i hope you can try it again sometime those 10 people behind you that day were there for a reason.

Unknown said...

I've been going to the one off 44th for the past 20 years. It's family owned and they are really personable people. The meat falls right off the bone and their homemade sauce is to die for! I wish they would expand to something bigger but for this small location, it's amazing!!

TreyGreenback72 said...

JCs Smoked Meats has been in business since 1989. Joey (The Owner and Cook) has been smoking meat since he was 16 years old and sometimes like all of us he has an off day. It's bad timing for you I guess unfortunately. The BBQ at JCs has drawn rave reviews and is usually nothing short of amazing. I've never tasted a brisket as good as the ones Joey smokes. He has a gifted hand at his art and I highly recommend you take a second trip back so you can reassess it. He only has the SE 44th and I35 location now so you'll have to go there to get it. I bet you love it when you leave. It's just about the only BBQ you can get anymore that's actually smoked in a real
Smoker instead of an electric Chef Master oven with wood chips. "That's not real BBQ!"
Give him a break folks , Hes only Human and it's harder than you think trying to control that smoker. GO TEAM JOEY !!!

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT