Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dickey's Spicy Cheddar Sausage

If you read this blog, you may know that Dickey's is not my favorite option for brisket and ribs, but I do enjoy their polish sausage, so when they introduced their new spicy cheddar sausage, I had to go try it. Their positively cheesy video advertisement is pretty awful, but I was hoping the sausage might be worth the trip.



I braved the ice last week to try it on their first day of the full release. They say it will be for a limited time, but surely its staying power will have everything to do with its sales. Samples were given to all of the customers in front of me, but I went ahead and ordered a full sandwich.



Cheesiness in every bite is their goal, and they did not disappoint. There's almost too much cheese, but the meat, jalapeno and cayenne spices still find a way to shine through. The meat was piled high on the bun, and I enjoyed it both plain and as a sandwich filling. I don't think it will turn me into a Dickey's regular, but I'll now have a decent option if I'm forced to visit, as long as the sausage is still around.

- BBQ Snob

4 comments:

Todd said...

Looks like that ham & cheese loaf that Oscar Mayer sells.

Anonymous said...

Had it earlier this week as well.Had to try it.Not bad. Needs a higher temp cheese. All the cheese melted and the presentation was not exactly appealing.

Chris Wilkins said...

Thanks to you Daniel, dropped by Dickies for some spicy cheddar sausage. Hate to say it, but pretty damned good! I occasionally get sides there to go with what I'm smoking, so will have to get a couple of links to snack on while the meat finishes up.....

Nolan.Bailey said...

Sorry, Dickey's cheddar and jalapeno sausage is about as good as it gets down here in Texas. We've made several sausage trips around the State to compare sausages being made by the noted sausage makers....

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT