Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bar-B-Que Junction


MIDLOTHIAN: Bar-B-Que Junction
100 N 8th St

Midlothian, TX 76065

972-775-1783

Open M-Sat 11-8


Update: A reader informed mo of the following "Seems someone ran their car right through the front door and out the back. After the remodel and repair the owner raised the lease." Until I hear differently, this joint is unfortunately CLOSED.

2010: I'd never been to downtown Midlothian but it has a charming quality that makes all the businesses along the main street just seem more inviting. Bar-B-Que Junction is right down at the corner in a narrow storefront. Inside the doors the space seems to stretch back the entire block, and the fact that it was nearly empty at lunch time on Saturday made it seem even larger. After the pricey menu at Christopher's up the road in Cedar Hill, I was happy see a three meat plate for $11.50, and even happier when one of the friendly, older gentlemen serving up the 'cue mentioned that I could make the banana pudding one of my sides after noting my indecision. Problem solved.



Back in the car I could smell the smokiness in the air as soon as I opened the container. My first bite of rib was an incredible combination of black pepper, smoke, salt and sweet. A sweet rub had condensed on the ribs and had candied a bit, so each bite with bark was chewy in a good way. The meat came easily from the bone, and I had to remind myself how many more joints were in my future this day or I would have finished them off. The brisket was overcooked and crumbly with no fat, but plenty of crust. Outside of bites with crust there was little smokiness. It was made for dipping into their thick and spicy tomato based sauce. Tucked beneath those ribs were a few slices of pork loin. This is a meat that can get very dry with little smoke penetration, but these slices were some of the best I've had. A heavy rub with lots of black pepper gave the slices a bold flavor that went well with the good smokiness and the nice line of fat remaining on each slice. I'd drive back anytime for another order of that pork.

Rating ***

Bar b Que Junction on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Doc said...

We have eaten here several times and fully enjoy the food there
We have found it with a good smoke flavor but not so strong it overwhelms the meat
The stuffed baked potato is really a good meal
Suggest giving it a try anytime you go through Midlothian.
The biggest problem is parking as the establishment around the cornor serves alcohol and they park in his spaces to go the the other place.
I perfer this place over most chain type places

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT