Thursday, September 2, 2010

Searcy's BBQ


BRYAN: Searcy's BBQ
905 San Jacinto
Bryan, TX 77803
979-823-5853
Open Tues-Thur 11-7, F-Sat 11-10


The motorcycle riding my back bumper nearly smacked into me when I hit the brakes to swerve into the tiny parking lot of Searcy's. I react quickly to signs with the letters 'BBQ' on them. Inside there was fresh paint and new tablecloths. I asked if they renovated or opened recently. Mr. Searcy replied "We've been open two days." He then proceeded out the back door to the offset smoker to retrieve the meat. I opted for the combo plate of brisket and ribs.



Both showed promise, but needed work. The brisket had good smoky flavor with a silky line of fat clinging to each slice. The meat however was rather chewy due mainly to the fact it was sliced with rather than against the grain. The thick black crust held great salty flavors, and I coulod see the potential here. Ribs also had good smoke and flavor from the rub heavy in black pepper. These ribs though, were simply underdone, the meat was chewy and failed to come away from the bone. I'm guessing they needed another hour on the smoker out back. I'm certain that Mr. Searcy will be able to work out these kinks after a few more days in business.

Rating **
Searcy's BBQ on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious, did you happen to comment to them on how the brisket was sliced?

BBQ Snob said...

I didn't actually open the box until I got in the car. Either way, I don't make a habit out of telling pit masters how to change things. They usually do what their regulars want, and that is sometimes different than how I prefer it.

Anonymous said...

I can see your point. Perhaps this was just one of those kinks. Maybe after you left he said, "hey, who sliced the brisk this way?"

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT