Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Momma raye's Old Fashioned BBQ

DALLAS: Momma raye's Old Fashioned BBQ

Location and Hours TBD


On a recent Friday evening I was traversing Deep Ellum on my way to Pepe’s for a much needed infusion of chipotle wine sauce. I was fighting back twinges of nostalgia as there was a small line of some sort in front of the reopened Trees and construction permits hanging in a few of the other spaces. As I crossed Crowdus, I noticed a Ford F-150 packed to the gills with a large wheeled smoker that had settled in the parking lot in front of Club Clearview. The severe shortage of street food in Dallas is well known, so I couldn’t pass up this opportunity.



Ribs weren’t ready yet, so I settled for a sliced beef sandwich. My slices had been trimmed of any evidence of crust. They could have used a few more minutes in the smoker with their bonier brethren, but were generally moist and flavorful. Momma raye’s is currently open Tuesday through Saturday, 7pm to 2am at the corner of Elm and Crowdus. They plan to open a permanent home at Commerce and Walton in the next few weeks. I’ll withold a star rating for now, but I can recommend Momma raye’s to those who need a little extra fuel while out enjoying the resurgence of Deep Ellum. I hope both are on a strong upward arc.

1 comment:

smokemasterone said...

Looks like I mis-identified the truck as a Ford. Definitely a product of the General.

DISCLAIMER:

Each joint is judged on the essence of Texas 'cue...sliced brisket and pork ribs. Sausage is only considered if house made. Sauce is good, but good meat needs no adornment to satisfy. Each review can only be based on specific cuts of meat on that particular day. Finally, if the place fries up catfish or serves a caesar salad, then chances are they aren't paying enough attention to the pits, so we mostly steered clear.

-THE PROPHETS OF SMOKED MEAT